Hoo Village Institute

Hoo Village Institute

hoo village institute25 Main Road, Hoo, Rochester, Kent ME3 9AA

Tel: 01634 250836

Hoo village institute was founded in 1895 when The Trustees, The Reverend Percy George Benson, Warwick Stunt and Walter Miskin made an agreement with George Armytage, the local landowner, to rent the building, outbuildings and adjoining meadow for the grand sum of £50 per annum.

When Mr Armytage passed away The Hoo Lodge Estate was sold off at auction.  Not only did this Estate include the Hoo Village Institute building but also the Brickworks, “Highover”, Parsonage and Church Farms, many houses and terraces of houses and farmland within the village.  A great deal of this was bought by the Brice family.  The auction was held on 25th October 1921.  The then Trustees of the Club, Mr Walter Miskin, Mr Walter St. John Brice and Mr James Robertson, purchased the building with a mortgage from Budden and Briggs brewery for the grand sum of £1,200.0s.0d together with fixtures and fittings (which included furniture and fixings and fittings for the bar as well as pewter jugs, spittoons, a chess set, 2 sets of draughts, 2 sets of dominoes and 3 crib boards) for £160.00.  This also included our lovely snooker table which is still being used.

We have extended over the years by purchasing Acorn House which was next door and demolishing it for the addition of the Function Hall and purchasing the land for the football pitches.

What We Are Now

We are a family club which is affiliated to the Club and Institute Union.  We are also registered with the FSA.

Tel: 01634 250836